Our client, Colorado Springs Utilities (CSU), rated as one of the best utilities in the nation by J.D. Power & Associates, is seeking a Chief Executive Officer (CEO). CSU is an enterprise fund of the City of Colorado Springs serving over 180,000 customers by providing four utility services (electric, gas, water and wastewater).
CSU is governed by a 9-member Utilities Board comprised of elected City Council members.
The CEO reports to the Utilities Board and leads the organization in strategic direction and provides leadership and guidance to the organization. The CEO is responsible for carrying out the overall direction for the organization as set by the Utilities Board through the executive ends and limitations governance policy statements. The CEO currently oversees six direct reports, a dedicated and proud workforce of just under 2,000 and has ultimate responsibility for an operational budget of approximately $1B.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, environmental science, business or other appropriate discipline. An advanced degree (i.e. MBA, MS, MPA, or JD) will distinguish the most competitive candidates.
• Ten or more years of experience in a senior leadership capacity preferably with a public utility; experience in both energy and water will distinguish the most attractive candidates.
• Effective experience working for or closely with an oversight board and external stakeholders, to include legislative/regulatory bodies, customers, the business community, the media and the general public.
• Strong working knowledge of laws and regulations governing electric generation and distribution as well as familiarity with or the ability to quickly grasp Western water rights and regulatory issues regarding water quality and reuse.
• Insight and expertise to predict and anticipate evolving energy generation changes including an increased reliance on renewable energy.
• Demonstrated success managing an operating and capital budget or organization similar in size and scope.
Detailed Position Specifications are available here.